Thursday, 5 May 2016

Bakemono no Ko (The Boy and the Beast)

AT THE BEGINNING OF TIME

...uhmmmm no not that long ago actually.
The 11th July 2015, that's the airing date of this movie. I'm roughly a year late but w/e.

It's been 6 days since I've seen this movie at an anime con I participated in aaaaaaaaand I've got a few things to say so let's label this article as something-as-a-review because I'm kinda rubbish at reviews mainly because I can't be much of a critics. I guess I'm just too generous or just undemanding. Or maybe I enjoy too many things without searching for a fault (in our stars)


¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯

This article is spoiler free

Producers: Dentsu, Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation, Kadokawa Shoten, Toho Company, Nippon Television Network Corporation
Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment
Studios: Studio Chizu
Source: Original
Genres: Adventure, Supernatural
Duration: 1 hr. 58 min.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older (this is so funny)

*shamelessly copied from myanimelist.net*


As you may have noticed, this movie was done by a Studio Chizu. One million dollar question: What other movie do you know from this studio? *drum roll* yup yup It's Wolf Children aka Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (if you don't know this movie, please revoke your otaku card, thank you,) FINALLY after 4 years another art piece from this studio came, yaaaay. /because like it or not, Wolf Children is an amazing movie and a classics/

To tell you the truth, I didn't know what I was signing to by waiting in a line an hour in a cold outside a projection hall at 8:30 pm. I didn't know anything about this movie back then, I just saw some posters and it looked good so I was like hell yeah why not. The result? I regret nothing.

The plot of this movie is kinda simple. A very very young boy child (9) is left on the streets having noone to live with or take care of him. He hates the world. He cries. But then *badum ts* a random stranger passing by sees him and decides he has a potential, that there's something in his eyes screaming that. Potential for what exactly though? To become his disciple as it so happened that this one particular individual is one of two candidates for a new ruler. The stranger invites this young boy to join him on his way home but once his face is revealed, boy gets scared as this stranger's face is not human. Yup. They come from the world of monsters. Now don't get it wrong, you won't find zombies and dragons in this particular world. In fact it's a very nice place with a lot of nice monsters. Really. However, stranger doesn't have time to waste and before our young boy manages to decide and recover from a shock he received, the stranger's gone. Skipping a few scenes, boy runs away from the human world and ends up in the other world where non-human creatures live. DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING DID YOU. Time goes on and Kyuuta, our young boy grows in his newly found home  to be a fine young man with a clumsy and lazy couch potato monster named Kumatetsu for a teacher. But who exactly is teaching whom? Kyuuta seems to have quite a talent and these two end up helping each other. But will be Kumatetsu able to win against his older and experienced rival and become a new ruler?


Oh look! What a nice and calming movie~~!
Hell no. I can assure you things will go down and deep and you will be sitting in your chairs nervous not knowing what could happen any minute. Yeah. This movie is indeed very nice and funny. But if you watch Japanese anime movies, you should already know you MUST expect it to drammatically change and send you and your expectation of happy ending flying. Not implying that this has a sad ending... well depends on your point of view but I won't spoil anything I promise.

The story is focused on the main relationship between Kyuuta and Kumatetsu and it's lovely to watch as a child with no family accepts Kumatetsu not just as a teacher but also as a father. The create a strong bond.

Let's play spot the difference!



Yup. The first picture is Kyuuta, the second one comes from Wolf Children. Literally the one thing that was punching me the whole time was how incredibly similar this was to Wolf Children. I mean it's pretty obvious, right? Same Studio means the same animation and stuff. The characters were identical too. I can't help it, it's just kinda ridiculous and uhhh... mhm. I like it though! I'm not complaining just it's a bit strange for me. As I started watching this I recognized the animation immediately and that's when I thought DAMN. This is going to be a feel train. I wasn't wrong either.
(^on a scale from 1 to 10 how proffesional was this paragraph? :"D)

The soundtrack was pretty too. I don't usually pay attention to soundtracks that much, but if I ever get chills I can tell that's some quality soundtrack chosen to be in the right place in the right time and that's all that matters.

To point out a few things I didn't like about this movie: (there are some)
Somewhere near the end they suddenly started a "romance" of Yuuta and a certain girl he met which I think was unnecessary and overall very quick and half-assed. The second thing I couldn't digest was the ending. Towards the end it is all pretty much rushed. The animation gets beautiful as fk, but that's it. Too rushed endings are the worst and ruiin the whole thing ;; (not to mention the end itself wasn't one I'd like. I wished it would end up differently)

But yeah. My final rating is high anyway. It's funny, it's serious, it's emotional, the animation is pretty. I'd give it about 8/10 and say it is worth watching.

Have a trailer: